Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Class 2

I finally got to see a class 2.  Class 5 are great, but I want that calculus.  My afternoon pt was a sad story... she has an upper denture and only the anteriors left which are causing her great pain.  I got a few Pa's, and there was decay on every single tooth.  The only thing I could do at the point was to strongly refer her to a dentist b/c I couldn't use my instrument quite yet with all that decay.  I notice lately that pt in the same senario as her have an upper denture.  I learned from Prof Alexander that it is common.  Since the maxillary teeth are 3 rooted compared to the 2 rooted mandibular molars, they are more risk area of decay and tooth loss.  Also, stuff pools around the ant mandibulars.. which means F and all that good minerals.  Keep on a look for that when you do oral cancer screenings!  It is quite amazing!  This situation has inspired me to get articles for these types of pt and see if any possible pamplets so I can be an evidence-based hygienist.  My next goal is just do that... amazing what these little events can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment