Thursday, January 5, 2012

VA

So, both my patients had attitude problems, luckly one of them was a class 3.  Connie, Tori, Jamie, and Jodie could hear it, but they commented how I was professional about it.  My afternoon pt had a knee-joint replacement 10 months ago in which I caught from questioning about the health history.  ( Lesson #1... make sure you question about any changes to their health history b/c you can catch something major like this)  I explained to the patient that pre-med is required for every dental/dh visits from now on at the VA b/c bacteria from the mouth can affect his new knee joint.  I had a whole hour of just chit-chatting which Shera came to help.
I gave 11 injections that day.  It is such a great opportunity to have inst Dixon and Connie to watch me give those injections b/c they judge at boards for clinical and LA.  I had many wrong case scenarios, but I was able to recognize the problem for the most part and try it again.  For example, I had a positive aspiration, my syringe broke and could not inject, I touched my glove, I couldn't see the bevel (that would have been a fail).  I was grateful for these situations now and not at boards.  It is alright to make mistakes.  Just recognize your mistake and try again.

2 comments: